Boston's Premier Foundation College

Helping individuals of all ages build the foundation for personal success
as students, workers, citizens and leaders.

Priceless education and connections

We strongly recommend students complete their FAFSA online. The form can be accessed online here. For information contact FA Office 617-449-7428 or 7429.

To complete the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year, you need the following documents:

  • Previous year U.S. income tax return -- IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, or 1040 Telefile. 
  • W-2 Forms and other records of money earned in the previous year.
  • Records of previous year untaxed income such as Social Security Benefit, Workers -- Compensation, or Welfare.
  • If you are under 24 years of age, the same documentation from your parents is required. 
  • Urban College's Title IV Code is 031305. 
  • The FSA ID is a username and password that you create using your own personal information and is for you exclusively to log into the online FAFSA form. The FSA ID is the fastest way to sign and submit your FASFA form.  It is also the only way for you to access your federal student aid information online.  Whether you are a student or a parent of a student, you'll need to create your own FSA ID to complete federal student aid tasks. To create a FSA ID, please click here.

  • When you have finished your FAFSA online, a confirmation page will be sent to your email. If you are completing your 2020-2021 FAFSA for the Fall 2020 semester during the Fall registration period, please have your confirmation page available when you work with your advisor.


Students should keep a copy of their FAFSA and all documents that were used to complete their FAFSA in an accessible place.  FAFSA randomly chooses approximately 1 in 3 FAFSA's for a process called "Verification." If your FAFSA is chosen, you will be asked to provide the documents you used to complete the FAFSA directly to our office. Applicants are notified in writing if additional documentation, such as tax returns, is needed. 

Urban College offers federal, state, and college financial aid to help eligible Urban College students with costs of attendance.

        To be eligible for financial aid a student must:
  1. Apply by completing the FAFSA.
  2. Be enrolled in a Degree or Certificate program.
  3. Be a U.S. citizen, or permanent resident of the U.S..
  4. Have not yet earned a bachelor's degree.
  5. Be in good standing on any previous Federal student loans.
  6. Make satisfactory academic progress.


The Financial Aid Office is available to answer questions or discuss any concerns you may have about paying for your education.

Students must be aware that all colleges are subject to changes in funding allocations from both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (State Funding) and the U.S. Department of Education (Federal Funding).Financial aid applications must be completed annually. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid. In order to prevent any delays in the processing of your financial aid, the priority filing deadline for the Fall semester is August 4, and for the Spring semester, December 1.

Summer financial aid funds are limited to Pell Grant ONLY and are available on a limited basis

Students requiring personalized attention should contact the Financial Aid Office to set up an appointment by email:

Office Hours vary, but Financial Aid help is generally available from 10 am - 5 pm, Monday-Friday.


Institutional Aid Policy: Urban College awards additional financial assistance to qualified Pell and MASS Grant recipients up to a maximum of $200 per course. This assures that the remaining tuition course cost for those students who are eligible for the maximum Pell Grant and/or MASS Grant awards will be covered through financial aid and will assist those who were only partially Grant funded.
In addition, for those students who are not eligible for financial aid under Federal or State Grant Programs, the College has made available institutional aid up to a maximum of $200 per course for those who qualify.
All students must complete the Institutional Aid Request Form each academic year to request aid and prove eligibility.

Resources for Students: MEFA FINANCIAL AID resources - Your Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority

  • Scholarships: Find an entire page devoted to information about private scholarships, including links to 4 different search engines.
  • Co-op/Work-Study Earnings: As a reminder, earnings from a co-op program or a work-study position are taxable but excluded from total income within the federal financial aid calculation.
  • Using a U.Fund account: A link within the How It Works section of the U.Fund page that families can follow to find information about how to access and use their U.Fund 529 college savings for college costs.
  • MEFA Webinars: Families can register for upcoming webinars on the events page (click the MEFA Webinars category on the right). Families can’t view the webinar slides before the live event, but once a webinar has passed, a family can access the recording anytime in the lower section of the right-hand sidebar on the events page, with a list to the links to MEFA’s webinar recordings, and all recordings include a copy of the slides to download.

MEFA, Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority
160 Federal Street, 4th Floor,
Boston, MA  02110

Main: 800.449.6332

What Types of Grants are Available?
How does the Financial Aid Office measure my Academic Progress?


What Types of Grants are Available?

Federal Funds

Pell Grants provide funds to eligible students who demonstrate financial need. The award is based on need as well as number of credits enrolled per semester; Pell Grants do not have to be repaid.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are available to eligible students, and are funds that do not have to be repaid. Priority for SEOG is given to Pell Grant recipients. Funds are limited and priority is given to early applicants.

State Funds

MassGrants are awarded by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to eligible full-time students; they do not have to be repaid. Massachusetts part-time Grants are awarded by the Urban College to eligible students who complete at least 6 but fewer than 12 credit hours for the Fall and Spring terms; they do not have to be repaid. 

Institutional Aid

Institutional Aid funds (described in the section above) do not need to be repaid.


Useful Links

U.S. Department of Education

Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance

National Student Loan Data System

Fastweb Scholarship Search

Student Gateway to the Government

Selective Service

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Social Security Administration

MALDEF - The Latino Legal Voice for Civil Rights in America


How does the Financial Aid Office measure my Academic Progress?

In order to continue to receive financial aid consideration, students must continue to make satisfactory progress towards a degree or certificate.   Please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.